Wednesday, December 13, 2006


Christmas albums. Why? What is the purpose? Do we need them? Ok so heres the deal. Lately we here at Iawah have been having this argument. What is it that makes artists feel the need to put out a Christmas album? Now I realize that by writting this I run the huge risk of be labbled a scroug, but i'm fine with that. For the record I love Christmas and I find it an incrediably uplifting time of year. I do not however like Christmas albums, all of which are the same.
What makes someone release a Christmas album or "holiday album" if you will? I have a few theories.
The first is that they feel they have reached a point in their career were they have earned the right to put one out. I mean how many new bands that are just getting started put one out? If you have been around long enough you have enough respect that you can put out anything as long as it's your voice. That doesn't mean you should.
The second is that they or their song writters have lost all forms of creativity and they want to put out another cd. What better way to get over the hump then singing songs that you didn't write! I mean all you have to is sing Frosty the Snowman and Away in a Manger and your back on the charts. Geneius.
The third and perhaps the most ignorant is that they feel they can offer something "new" to the age old classics. What more can you do? If you wanna add something new, make something new. Instead all they do is change the key and ad in a few vocal flars. That's what makes it different? That's the same as the Ford Taurus and the Mercury Sable. Same car, different lable. Same song, different voice.
You may be wondering why "the legend" dislikes Christmas albums so much. Well let me tell you why. I used to work the night shift at Home Depot. I would work from 10pm until 6am stocking shelves. Now during the holiday season they played Christmas tunes on the radio. It was nice for the first 3 hours. After that I noticed that the play list was on a loop. The only thing changed was the voices singing the songs. The songs were all the same but the artist changed. Who were the artists? All the people that feel,
1st: they have reached a point in their career were they have earned the right to put out a Christmas album.
2nd: that they or their song writters have lost all forms of creativity and they want to put out another cd.
3rd: that they feel they can offer something "new" to the age old classics.
So there you have it folks. The reason that Christmas albums are, in my opinion a complete and total waste of time, money and effort. In closing I will be recording a "Holiday Classics" album. (note that I didn't call it a Christmas album. I fall into the third catagory. I'm offering something new!!) It might be finished by Christmas. If not, wait long. Marry Christmas guys and thanks for reading. Give me your thoughts. Peace.
"the legend"

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the sad thing is that makes so much sense

December 15, 2006 3:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i AGREE!!!! there are a few good christmas albums, but they are the ones that people write their own songs, instead of just redoing them.
but, in the holiday spirit, lets not complain till boxing day, when we have nothing better to do

ross

December 17, 2006 2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY I am all signed up for camp this summer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well I don't know if I have been accepted into crew yet; but I guess I will just have to wait to find out. I sent it in on the first day so ya *crosses fingers*.

January 04, 2007 5:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home